Our 2014 Exhibition
'Transports of Delight'
In Memory of World War 1
Along the Southern Shore
The Winter Gardens Story
Ventnor and the Undercliff - A Time Line
Two St. Lawrence Houses - Old Park & St. Lawrence House
Runs until November 1st
The Next Meeting
'Isle of Wight Folklore'
will be on
Friday 25th July
The 'Masonic Hall' Grove Road
Non members always welcome admission £1.50
A 2.6 mile Circular Walk
(Pre-History to Cold War)
RAF Ventnor : Bronze Age Burial Barrows
Isle of Wight Rifles & Ventnor Station
Details of the walk arranged by Richard Downing in conjunction with the 'National Trust'
may be found here
The Museum's archives have been considerably enriched by the bequeathed acquisition of Fay Brown's indexed
'Card Information Files'
Information recorded over a lifetime of interest in Local History, preserved for prosperity
The Museum is also indebted to the Family of Fay Brown for the gifted acquisitions of
Fay's collection of Photographic Albums, Audio / Video Tapes and other sundry items.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Following closure of 'Ventnor County Middle School',
the Museum has acquired a collection of the School's photographs.
Housed in seventeen portfolios, the collection comprises in excess of seven and a half thousand
photographs mounted on over four hundred and fifty display cards.
Dating back to 1939 when the school was located in Leeson Road,
the photographs cover numerous aspects of school life, featuring among other things:
The Castle Kids
The 1957 opening of the New School
Sporting and Leisure activities including Annual Shows and Music Festivals
Class and Leaver's photographs
Construction and subsequent infill of the Swimming Pool
School Trips and Visits
Building Extensions, Refurbishments and Maintenance
The significant 'Lets Get Cooking' project.
To display the collection would require 230 square metres of display boards,
considerably more than the 40 square metres available in the Museum;
therefore the Museum has embarked upon a program of digitization*
which will enable the photographs to be viewed front-of-house on a digital monitor.
The first batch of one-thousand photo's covering much of the Black & White era have been completed,
and are available for viewing in the Museum (See below)
(Copies available to order)
The Museum Has A New Visitor Terminal
On Which May Be Viewed
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
The Ventnor County Middle School Photographic Collection
The Museum's Acquisitions Database
Ventnor & District Electoral Registers
1920 : 1925 : 1933 : 1938 : 1947
Ventnor Street Directories 1871-1903 -1935 -1951
Ventnor Municipal Cemetery Plans & Names Index 1870 - 2000
Ventnor & District Ordnance Survey Maps from 1876
Whitwell & Chale Postcards
Our DVD 'Ventnor & The Undercliff'
Our DVD 'No Finer Place'
Organ Roll Recording of Edwin Henry Lemare
John Betjeman's 1969 'Birds Eye View' of the Royal National Hospital
A Reading of John Betjeman's Account of His First Visit to Ventnor
Audio Reminiscences of Local Residents
The latest unveiling in the current series of
marks the historic early eighteenth century (or earlier)
'Crab & Lobster Inn'
Our latest In-house Publications
'Conflict and Conflagration'
The Story of the Ventnor Area in Times of War
is available priced £3.00
Our popular series of four
'Ventnor Town Trails'
are freely available
Please note 'Monthly Meetings' are now held at
The Masonic Hall
Grove Road - Ventnor
'Ventnor & The Undercliff '
Which includes the villages of
Bonchurch, St.Lawrence, Niton, Whitwell & Wroxall
incorporating our best selling video from 2000
'Ventnor No Finer Place'
is available at various outlets priced £8.95
'Ventnor, Isle of Wight '
The English Mediterranean
Tracing Ventnor's development as a Health and popular Holiday Resort
Sixty pages profusely illustrated
'Including a chapter on suggested walks'
is available at various outlets priced £9.50
Please Note - Our current Email Address
WHERE IS IT NOW ?
Used as a collecting box for the RNLI this model of Noah's Ark stood for many years at Ventnor Station
Following the Stations closure in 1966 the model was exhibited at The Treasure House Museum in Godshill to be seen later at Woking and later still in Bristol
But where is it now ?
We have many enquiries regarding its location - Any information would be gratefully appreciated