Ventnor’s Old Parsonage or Vicarage

Ventnor’s old Vicarage stood on the site of the present Winter Gardens in Ventnor. It was erected in the late 1830s, around the same time as St. Catherine’s Church, part of the benefaction of the Hambrough family of Steephill Castle that also helped to build Albert Street School. An impressive structure, it was not without its issues, with the rear foundations repeatedly being undermined by water seeping from the mill-pond and from the stream that fed the mill and the nearby waterfall. Indeed, it was allegedly in part a ruin by 1878 when it was rebuilt on new foundations.

N.B. Article updated post publication in SWC

Read PDF version here: Ventnor’s Old Parsonage or Vicarage

Sidebar