Daniel Day (1814-1893)

Daniel Day was the son of Stephen Day, the stone mason who built Cove Cottage in 1828, located on what is now Belgrave Road and, a few years later, Steephill Castle.

Following a tragic accident there in 1832, Stephen was accidentally killed and Daniel inherited the family business at the age of just 18. Eventually known always as Daniel Day & Sons, it turned into one of the leading builders in and around the Undercliff with the Ventnor Red Book of 1892 describing them as: building contractors, stone and monumental masons, plumbers, painters, undertakers, house and estate agents and valuers.

Read PDF version here: Daniel Day (1814-1893)