Tom Harry Loosemore was born in Newport and his wife, Alice, in Ryde, so both were Islanders. He entered the grocery business in Ventnor at Parker’s corner by taking over the store run there by Mr. Amis. By the late 1880s, though, he had relocated to the opposite side of the junction of Madeira and Trinity roads where he remained in business until 1921. The shop would later become Farleigh’s Stores, but during his time there, Loosmore was both the local agent for Charles and Thomas Harris & Co. Ltd., the famous Wiltshire bacon curers as well as a stockist of early “fast food” such as Bird’s Custard.
Read PDF version here: Fast Food more than one hundred years ago: Loosemore’s Stores