Holy Trinity Church Ventnor, by Michael Freeman.
The article includes a picture of the Church taken shortly after completion in 1862, showing its unusually narrow tower and steeple. The site of the Church had earlier been considered for the terminus of the planned railway line to Ventnor; at that time the intended route was via Luccombe and the Landslip, although ultimately the line came in via Wroxall and a long tunnel under the Downs.
The building was paid for by three sisters: the Misses Agnes and Louisa Percy and Mrs Ellen Thomson, and cost a little over nine thousand pounds. Several of those involved with the Church over time are mentioned, one being Edwin Lemare, a local musician and music dealer, who played the organ in the church for many years. His son, also called Edwin Lemare, was taught the instrument by his father, and became one of the most highly regarded organists of his generation, eventually settling in the USA.
Read the article here: Holy Trinity Church, Ventnor