In the 1930s International Stores laid claim to being ‘The Greatest Grocer in the World’ and its signage was a familiar sight on British high streets. It had a presence in Ventnor for almost one hundred years, opening first at 58 High Street in 1889 (next to the Commercial Hotel) and closing in 1986, by which time it was based at 5 High Street, next to the current branch of Boots. Over the intervening years, it had been located at 69/71 High Street and at 22 High Street. In this article Jean Cooper recalls being sent shopping in the Ventnor store, together with her sister, when she was a small girl during the 1920s.
Read PDF version here: International Stores in Ventnor