Millmore’s Garage

The Millmore family came to Ventnor from Cowes in 1929. Their garage at the top of the High Street was started by Matthew Martin Millmore straight after the 1939-45 war. He had previously been running carrier vans daily between Ventnor and Ryde.

The High Street garage proved successful and was soon expanded with the help of sons Alan and Joe Millmore. However, in February 1958, Joe Millmore, who had been workshop foreman, took passage to Sydney, Australia to join his sister Mary Millmore (later Sheehan) who had emigrated some years before.

The Millmore family became very active supporters of Holy Trinity Church, where Matthew Martin was a churchwarden for over 30 years and his wife Rose Ellen a Sunday School Superintendent. Matthew died in 1972, aged 77 and his wife in in 1982 aged 90.

Read PDF version here: Millmore’s Garage

 

Sidebar