Sometime in the later 1950s, a young family happened upon the old St Lawrence Station to find it displaying a “For Sale” sign. After some vigorous negotiation with the vendor (British Rail), the family acquired it for £750, at the time the equivalent price of a decent family car, but well below the price of an equivalent sized dwelling house.
By 1960, the station was in its new guise as a holiday home, complete with signboard giving dates when the railway opened and closed (1897 and 1952). The old stationmaster’s flat on the first floor provided kitchen, living room and main bedroom, while the rooms at platform level provided bedrooms for the children. These included the old ticket office, the waiting room, the ladies’ room and the lamp room.
Read PDF version here: St Lawrence Station as a Holiday Home