The Gaiety Cinema

In 1911 a new ‘moving picture house’ The Electric Palace was opened in Ventnor High Street. Later renamed The Bijou it continued showing silent movies until 1930, despite a brand new cinema equipped with a sound system opening in 1924 in Grove Road, built by Tom Brading and named The Cinema. In 1930 Brading sold his cinema to Isle of Wight Theatres (IWT) who renamed it The Gaiety; it was famous for its sliding roof, opened during the intervals to allow the accumulated cigarette smoke to escape, had seating for 320 customers on two levels, and tea and ice creams were served by Mrs Drake, wife of the projectionist, Basil Drake.

Read PDF version here: The Gaiety Cinema