At one time, Prospect House (near the bottom of the south side of Grove Road), provided regular rooms for the YWCA, the Young Women’s Christian Association. It appears, ostensibly, to have been a boarding house, but its specific use may also have included being a hostel and club for working women.
In the Ventnor Red Book of 1903 and 1908, Prospect House is given as kept by Miss Margaret Gwillam Collins. When she died in March 1930, the Isle of Wight Mercury described her as having been ‘Superintendant’ of the Ventnor branch of the YWCA, with weekly prayer meetings held at Prospect House. She was assisted in her work by Miss Cotton.
Read PDF version here: The YWCA in Ventnor