At the end of the Second World War, Lowtherville (or Upper Ventnor as it is known today) was less than half the size it is now with just a few roads. There wasn’t a lot for children to do, with very little in the way of entertainment. In 1946 an organisation called ‘The Upper Ventnor Childrens Fund’ was created to provide entertainment for the children of Lowtherville and over the following years many events took place in support of them. In 1950 a New Year’s party was arranged at the Drill Hall in Bellevue Road and about 300 children were entertained by Mr and Mrs Bannister, Mr Arthur Wills, Mr Ron Harrison, while Mr R Williams gave a film show and Mrs T Sydney-Parry gave every child a shilling. The excellent catering was provided by Mr A E Payne of the Mikado Café.
Fund-raising for the organisation was conducted mostly at weekly dances and socials held in St Alban’s Hall every Tuesday with music regularly provided by Tony Warry.
At a Special General Meeting held in April 1951, the group voted to change its name to ‘The Upper Ventnor Childrens Welfare Group’ with the same aims and purpose as its predecessor.
Although the main venue for a lot of events was St Alban’s Hall, various other halls were used and, in 1953, over 200 youngsters and 60 guests were entertained to tea in the Town Hall in Albert Street. Catering for this particular event was by Mr & Mrs A E J Walters from the Briantree Café just down the road. Regular event organisers included Mr & Mrs L Wood, Mrs & Mrs G Drudge, Mr W Wheeler, Mr G Parsons, Mrs L Clarkson, Mr R H Symmans and Mr W Wheeler.
Read PDF version here: Upper Ventnor Children’s Welfare Group