Ventnor Secondary Modern School was completed and opened in the spring of 1957 at a cost of around £160,000. It was among the finest secondary schools built on the south coast in the early post-war years and many Island businesses were involved in its construction and fitting out. Moreys, for example, supplied the Gurjun floor for the gymnasium and the teak floor in the large assembly hall which had seating for almost 400 pupils. Some half a million bricks were used in building the School, all supplied and manufactured by Island Bricks of Rookley.
The teaching and recreational facilities offered were outstanding for a secondary school of that era, with dedicated rooms and laoratories. The swimming pool was not initially part of the construction plan. It was the idea of the parent-teacher association and some of the third and fourth-form boys helped with aspects of its construction.
Sadly, despite all this, within 60 years, it would be demolished as changing pupil rolls and educational practice overtook its use and viability.
Read PDF version here: Ventnor Secondary Modern School swimming gala 1970