Ventnor Urban District Council bought the Vicarage that stood on the site for £3,801 and changed the name to the Winter Gardens. The old vicarage was demolished 1936 and the present building was erected; ideas for use included as a cinema and an ice rink.
Financial problems were encountered from the start. The property was run by the Council, but periodically let to tenants. It was known as Cascadia for a short time.