Over the last 170 years there have been various different businesses located at 86 High Street in Ventnor. By the early 1900s the premises had become Joe Newnham’s Dairy. Joe first worked in Ventnor as a wine merchant’s cellarman, but later went into business as a dairyman. He seems to have set up at 86 High Street about 1904, remaining there until he retired in 1924. At this point, the premises saw another family established at 86 High Street when John Francis Roberton, from Whippingham, took over Newnham’s dairy business. Ten years later, Roberton entered into partnership with George Hibberd to form Island Creameries, with other outlets in Sandown and Newport.
Sadly, 86 High Street was destroyed in wartime bombing, along with many other adjacent premises. The site occupied by Knight’s Court is now all that marks out the lost buildings.
Read PDF version here: 86 High Street, Ventnor: part three – Joe Newnham and John Roberton