The Isle of Wight Mercury’s headline of June 8th 1951 was ‘St. Lawrence Hall burnt out –Ventnor’s biggest ever blaze?’ The beautiful residence, built around 1886 in the style of a French Chateau, was once the home of Admiral of the Fleet Lord Jellicoe. Formerly called Inglewood, it had 24 bedrooms by this time, a fine set of reception rooms and stood in ten acres of grounds with views of the Channel. Today, the house site and grounds accommodate a large housing estate known as Inglewood Park.
Read PDF version here: St Lawrence Hall destroyed by fire 1951