The Salvation Army Hall in Victoria Street had been badly blitzed in a German air raid of 26 April 1944 and, at one stage, the expectation was that it would end up being demolished. However, in January 1947 the Rev W Sinclair turned the key in the lock and members and guests in attendance were treated to a musical concert by Newport’s Salvation Army Band, with ‘Songsters’ from Cowes. An address was given by Miss Nell Milligan, to whom the Ventnor Corps owed its continued existence.
The history of the Salvation Army in Ventnor can be traced back to 1891, when on Saturday February 28 an open air meeting was held in Pier Street. The Hall survived until 1966 when it was demolished for redevelopment, along with 28 Victoria Street.
Read PDF version here: The Salvation Army Hall