The Old Vicarage used to stand overlooking Ventnor Cascade. It was bought by the Ventnor Urban District Council in 1929 for public use, and renamed the ‘Winter Gardens’. The upper floor served refreshments, and entertainments included open air concerts and dances. In 1936 the Vicarage was demolished and replaced with a new art deco building, which was run by the Council and periodically let to tenants. The new dance hall/concert hall had a magnificent sprung floor which could accommodate a thousand dancers, and many of the biggest bands of the time played at the ‘Ventnor Winter Gardens’, which at one time was known as ‘Cascadia’.